no matter how much rain pours down, the sun will always come out

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Tayari Jones

I wasn't at all excited when I realized that we had to attend a mandatory book reading at Foster Auditorium. I wasn't thrilled for three reasons; first, I hate having to do things when they are mandatory, I like the freedom to make my own decision, secondly, my last experience at Foster Auditorium didn't please me, and thirdly, I had no idea who Tayari Jones was besides from a reading we had for class. At seven o'clock, I dreadfully dragged my feet to the reading expecting the worst.

As the reading started, however, I was quite surprised. Tayari Jones's voice was rich and powerful, which kept me attentive and drew me in. As she read through her novel I got lost into her world; I myself became a character. Tayari Jones spoke with such passion and intensity about her characters and the story itself, that it became clear that this was a reality to her. She was connected to her book; the setting, characters, plot. I was immersed in the story, finding myself complaining when she decided to stop. I never thought of writing to be a fun career choice; nevertheless, after attending this reason I realized that even though writing can be a struggle, it can be rewarding in the end.

During her Q&A session after I learned about the techniques and steps she goes through to write her novels, which I can now try when I write. Dialogue and the story itself is better read out loud and it's okay if I need to cut pieces out, as long as it helps my final product. Tayari Jones really showed me what it's like to be a part of what you've written and I must say that I am now so glad that I went.

No comments:

Post a Comment