no matter how much rain pours down, the sun will always come out

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

New Perspective

Original: I tried to move but I couldn’t. I tried to raise my arms, lift my legs, roll my ankles, wiggle my fingers, but it was impossible. I couldn’t hear, couldn’t see, couldn’t understand. I was trapped; paralyzed inside my own body with my mind as the only functioning object. Panic set in. What’s happening? Why am I like this? Where is everyone? Lifting my incredibly heavy eyelids seemed to be an improbable task, as if I were lifting a 200 ton whale instead. I wanted to scream, break the silence and try to wake up from this nightmare. But I couldn’t. This wasn’t a dream; this was reality and whether I liked it or not there was nothing I could do. Suddenly, as if someone turned on a switch, I felt something. Dozens of fingers reached under me, trailing along my back and sides like spiders scurrying around. Voices danced around my ears, but they were too distant to comprehend. Abruptly I was flung into the air, with dainty fingers supporting me, and then placed down onto a bed. I felt an endless supply of pillows beneath me, taking my shape as I laid on top. I peeled back my eyelids and a glaring light flooded my vision. Faces began to take shape, each one more different than the next, with their wide eyes staring at me, piercing into my soul. One woman smiled and put her hand on mine. I blacked out.

Revision: I watched her as she laid there. Even though she wasn't awake, nor could she move her body right now, I could tell there was was a look of pain upon her face. She must have been panicing; I know I would be. Even though I have helped assisst in these procedures many times before, each person was different. They had a different atittude, a different effect, a different process. Me being only a doctor meant I only knew the scientific aspect of the procedure, not the emotional part. I couldn't understand how this young girl felt right now or the questions she must be asking. She looks so helpless, so fragile. Along with my fellow colleagues, I reached my hands under her and helped transfer her from one bed to the other. When we put her down her eyes flew opened and looked up at all of us, wearing a look of confusion and pain. I stared at her and when she looked at me I smiled and put my hand on hers. Then she fell unconcious once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment