no matter how much rain pours down, the sun will always come out

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Cinquain

I cry.
With no control
tears form into puddles,
sadness consumes my heavy heart.
Help me.

The form I choose to write was Cinquain. I decided to use this form of poetry because while reading through the other various forms, this one jumped to me and I immediately started putting syllables together to form this poem. The poem has more of a somber tone, with the theme being heartache and helplessness, however I leave it up to the reader to decide why the person is feeling this way. There are could be multiple meanings, the interpretations are endless. This makes the poem more relate able because everyone has felt this way before, just not all for the same reason. I stuck with the form's rules with the five lines going from two syllables, to four, to six, to eight, and then back to two again. Even though the poem doesn't rhyme, the even number of syllables helps it flow a bit. This form works well with the feeling I was trying to invoke, because even though there are not many of words, there is still a strong powerful somber emotion behind it. It indirectly explains in detail about being hurt and sad, instead of directly stating it from the gecko. This form is simple and straightforward, so it wasn't as complicated to do, especially since I'm not so good at poetry. Instead of making the reader think, the ideas aren't so abstract where it gets confusing. The imagery, such as "tears form into puddles", indicates to the reader that the speaker is more than just sad; it is more intense than that. This form of poem can either directly state something or leave something up for interpretation and that is what i like about it.

1 comment:

  1. Kris:

    If you were to revise this poem, I'd suggest replacing a lot of the "generic" language with more specific and unique wording. For instance: "Tears form into puddles" is cliche, no? And a heavy heart is an often used metaphor for grief. How could you replace the words in this poem to make it more unique, more vivid, more specific, and less generic?

    ReplyDelete